Division 15 (Educational Psychology) of APA invites doctoral students who are members of the Division to apply to participate in the Claire Ellen Weinstein Annual Graduate Student Seminar, to occur before and during the 2017 APA Annual Convention in Washington, D.C.
Seminar Description and Time Commitment
Selected students will meet with distinguished researchers, work with faculty to discuss their dissertation research and professional identity development, and socialize with distinguished faculty and soon-to-be colleagues. The seminar is free, and Division 15 will provide some meals and refreshments. Students will receive a small stipend intended to assist with the cost of travel and registration. Selected participants are expected to attend all seminar and specified Division 15 events beginning no earlier than 4 p.m. on August 2, 2017, and ending no later than 1 p.m. on August 6. The Convention dates are August 3-6, 2017.
Applicants must be full-time doctoral students who are in the preliminary stages of their dissertation study. Students from institutions large and small and from all domains relevant to educational psychology are encouraged to apply. The seminar will be limited to up to three students from the same institution. Applicants must be members or student affiliates of Division 15 at the time of the convention. For information on joining the Division, visit: http://www.apadiv15.org/. (Your first year of membership is free!)
When and How to Apply
The deadline for application is by 5 p.m. EST on Sunday, April 9, 2017. A completed application will require the following information. Please prepare these three items as separate documents and email them to Dr. Matthew Irvin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- A structured introduction
- full contact information (name, institution and department, mailing address, email, phone number)
- the name and email address of your dissertation chair
- the working title of your dissertation
- a 100-word abstract of the proposed dissertation study (be sure to include the type of methodology you intend to use)
- dissertation timeline including proposal meeting date (month/year), data gathering period, and anticipated dissertation defense date (month/year)
- a 100-word statement of your research interests
- a 100-word statement of your career goals and job search timeline
- A vita that includes education, professional experience, publications, conference presentations, teaching, and service. The vita should not be longer than 5 pages. Please name this file according to the following convention: lastname_vita.
- Document for blind review with the two sections described below. Do not include personally identifying information in the body of this document. Please name this file according to the following convention: lastname_blind. We will change the file name when sending your file to reviewers. This document should contain the following:
- A statement of interest in the seminar explaining how you can benefit from and contribute to the seminar (250-word limit).
- A 3-5 double-spaced-page research proposal that describes your dissertation study. The proposal should include a working title, introduction, brief theoretical framework, problem statement, methodology, and analyses.
LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
A letter of recommendation from your advisor describing your qualifications for this seminar. Please ask your advisor to send this letter directly to Dr. Matthew Irvin via email (filename: yourlastname_facultynomination).
All applications materials must be received no later than 5 p.m. EST on Sunday, April 9, 2017. Incomplete applications will not be considered. All submitted documents must reflect original work done by the applicant and should conform to ethical guidelines for research and reporting set forth by APA.
Selections will be based on the quality of the submitted work and fit with Division 15.
Questions should be directed to:
|Sharon Zumbrunn, Ph.D.
Virginia Commonwealth University
Phone: (804) 827-2625
|Matthew Irvin, Ph.D.
Educational Psychology and Research
University of South Carolina
Phone: (803) 777-3103